Botswana is one of those African countries, where it worth to immigrate. Beautiful country, full of possibilities, peaceful and waiting for high-skilled foreigners and investors. The African nation has also launched its Botswana residency by investment program.
The Republic of Botswana is a landlocked country in Southern Africa. It is one of the less populated countries of the world with a population of only two million. Botswana develops very fast, the main sectors of the economy are mining, cattle, and tourism.
The most relevant law, related to foreigners` work, and immigration are the Botswana Labour and Immigration Laws and the Employment of Non-Citizens Act. According to the law, foreigners can obtain the permanent residence permit of Botswana after residing five years in the Botswana.
Botswana Residency by Investment Program
Foreign applicants can obtain residence permit through investment in Botswana after a minimum investment of 1 million BWP (app 82,000 euros/USD,93000). Investor residents may also apply for the Tax Exempt Clearance Certificate (TCC)
The immigration process under the Botswana residency by investment program takes 1 to 3 months. According to our experiences, the ideal amount of investment to get enough points during the process starts from one million Botswanan Pulas (app 83k EUR or 93k USD, the amount depends on the daily exchange rates.) The reason is easy, one million BWP guarantees the maximum 20 points for the applicant during the evaluation process in the point-based immigration system.
Employing nationals of Botswana is more than beneficial for the immigration process, and the wages are meagre.
Why shall you obtain the residence permit of Botswana?
- Botswana is a peaceful nation, since its independence from 1966.
- According to Transparency International, it is the least corrupt country in Africa.
- Botswana has the highest sovereign credit ranking and the second freest economy in Africa.
- Botswana has one of the fastest income growth per capita in the world.
- Botswana provides access to a market of 230 million people, the Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Duty-free access to Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland.
- Duty-free and quota-free access to the EU (European Union) market.
- Most of the workforce speaks English, and the literacy rate is 82%.
- No labour tensions.
- No foreign exchange controls and restrictions on foreign ownership.
- Low taxes, 15% corporate tax and 25% personal income tax (see Botswana`s tax incentives in the next chapter).
- Botswana allows full repatriation and remittance of profits and dividends.
- Duty-free import solutions of machinery and equipment for manufacturing activities.
Tax and business incentives for foreign investors in Botswana
- The tax rates are generally low. Resident companies pay 22%, the withholding tax is 7,5% on all distributed dividends.
- After approval, manufacturing companies pay 15% tax.
- Tax Holiday for 5-10 years is available for investors!
- Botswana allows free repatriation of profits, dividends and capital; there are no foreign exchange controls.
- Operational double taxation avoidance agreements with South Africa, United Kingdom, Sweden, France, Mauritius, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Russia.
- International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) accredited companies pay tax at 15% on profits from approved operations.
- Companies accredited by the Innovation Hub pay tax at 15% of profit.
What is the Botswana IFSC Company Certification?
The Botswana International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) allows accredited companies to pay a flat 15% tax on their profits from approved operations.
Botswana treaties for the avoidance of double taxation
Botswana has functioning double taxation agreements with Barbados, India, France, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, South Africa, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Swaziland and Seychelles. The new double tax agreements with Russia, Luxembourg, China, Belgium, Malawi, Tanzania, and Zambia are awaiting ratification.
Botswana`s current discussions on possible tax agreements are taking place with the following countries: Japan, Angola, Kenya, Nigeria and Uganda.
Botswana Residency by Investment schemes
Botswana offers several residency by investment schemes for foreign investors. The eligibility of the applicants depends on a point-based system, developed by the government.
- Tier1: Sponsored Investors
Investors can apply for the Botswana residence permit through investing in projects recognised by public institutions, the approval process in these cases is automatic!
- Tier2: Production Sector
Agriculture, Manufacturing, Mining, Water, Electricity and Construction projects
- Tier3: Services Sector
Applicable for investors in Communications, Finance and Business Services, Information Technology, Social and Personal Services, Trade, Transport and Tourism.
Botswana Immigration requirements
List of necessary documents for Investors (Botswana residency by investment) during the immigration process
- Medical report form 3
- Application forms
- Certified copies of a valid passport
- Five passport type photo
- Copy of birth certificate
- Bank statement/balance sheet
- Police clearance certificate
- Married applicants must submit their spouse`s files as well, even if the spouse does not apply for Botswana residence permit.
- List of employees. In the case of local citizens, the certified copies of the Omang, for non-citizens the copies of work and residence permits are necessary.
- Supporting documents (certified copies) from professional/regulatory bodies.
- Certificate of incorporation (certified copy)
- Copy of share certificate
- Form ii/ 8,13,14 for all directors!
- Tax clearance certificate (certified copy)
- Labour clearance certificate
- Letter of annual returns
- An annual turnover report, personal tax, etc
- Proof of address
- Evidence of corporate social investment (plans)
- Bank statements
- Company profile
- Trading license (certified copy)
- List of company assets
- Certified copy of lease agreement (the place of operation)
(Employee`s need several more documents during the application process)
- Certificate of marriage
- Birth certificates
- Passport photos 2
- Certified copy of the passports`data pages
- Support (Sponsor) letter
Necessary documents for Botswana temporary residence permit
- Documentation of the employer
- Documentation of the employee
- Work emergency letter
- Receipts of long-term submission
- Passport photos 2
Please note that all documents in foreign languages must be submitted to the Ministry of Home Affairs (Botswana) in the English language. All translations must also strictly be completed by a sworn translator.
My official immigration partner in Botswana is the Almega PTY LTD, and my official exceptional service partner is Magdeline Ketlhokile.
Please, let me know if you have more questions regarding investments in Botswana, African immigration or the Botswana residency by investment scheme HERE.